It’s that time of year! We’re bundling up in our thermal jammies and long robes. The heater is kicked on and evenings of warm soup and bread in our kitchen. The weather is cool and we love everything this new season brings! Well, almost everything.
Along with this frigid weather comes less moisture and more dryness in my hair and skin. Cold weather is tough on skin. The cold temperatures and low humidity levels (even here in the south!) draws moisture out of my skin since the air is so dry. I’ve learned this from having plant babies and babies with eczema. My beautiful air plants need more frequent waterings from the dry indoor heat. My kid’s skin conditions always seem to flare up in these dry, cold months.
Over the years, we’ve gotten a good handle on keeping skin healthy and comfortable until the spring arrives!
4 EASY WAYS TO KEEP SKIN HEALTHY DURING DRY, COLD MONTHS
- AVOID LONG, HOT SHOWERS. While a hot bath or shower can feel great in the winter, it can strip your skin of important oils. When possible, use lukewarm water instead, including when you wash your face or hands. I always rinse my face with lukewarm-cool water. Since we all know hot water can dehydrate the skin, lukewarm water is best. I wash my face with cool water when my face is red, to restrict the blood vessels. Washing your face with cool water every morning can have magical effects on a puffy face!
- WEAR SUNSCREEN, NO TANNING. Don’t tan. We know this right? Tanning speeds up the aging process and strips our skin of all the good stuff. The cell damage tanning causes far outweighs the vitamin D sunlight adds (we get plenty!). Instead, apply sunscreen on your face and hands before heading outside. Even in the cooler months, the winter sun and reflection from snow can wreak havoc on your skin. Don’t forget to reapply.
- NO SOAP + NO ALCOHOL. Use a gentle cleanser instead of soap on your face. Soap has a crazy high pH level, which is too harsh on skin. This can cause a whole host of problems leading to dry, flaky skin. Cleansers are generally at a much lower pH than soaps and are gentler on your skin. Also, avoid using skin care products that contain alcohol! It’s an easy way to avoid skin dehydration. Humidifiers are also an easy way to push moisture into the air and into your skin. Where scarves and gloves when going out in cold weather.
- STOCK UP ON CALMING MISTS. Mists are the easiest way to instantly put hydration directly into your skin. I’ve been obsessed with Olay’s Ultimate Hydration Mists for so many reasons! This one from Olay is my favorite and I love that if you hold down the nozzle, it’s a continuous spray so it’s always even on my face. It leaves my face feeling refreshed and hydrated, not wet and sticky. The spray is so light I can use it right over my makeup for a mid-day moisture surge. In the evenings, my face tends to gravitate towards feeling tight and dry. A gentle mist across my face has been the perfect pick-me-up to moisturize my skin because of the added Aloe Vera and Chamomile. TIP: In the morning 1. Wash Face 2. Apply Toner 3. Spray Olay Energizing Mist 4. Finish with Moisturizing SPF. In the evening, freshen with a Spray of Olay Calming Mist to refresh makeup and restore skin!
6 Benefits of Olay Mist Ultimate Hydration Essence Calming With Aloe Leaf & Chamomile:
• Facial mist instantly absorbs to hydrate dull, dry & tight skin
• Microfine mist with Aloe Leaf & Chamomile helps calm skin’s mood
• Replenishing water lost during the day, Olay Mists instantly increases hydration by 60% for skin that glows
• Known to help brighten skin & fortify skin’s moisture barrier
• Helps hydrate, calm & reduce inflammation
• No oils, parabens & artificial colors or dyes
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Olay. The opinions and text are all mine.
I didn’t know Olay had a cooling mist, that’s so nice I want to try it out.
For sure! You definitely should.
How do keep your kids skin moisturized? My daughter has ezcema and I yet to find something to totally make it go away.
You are one beautiful mama. Thank you for all you share I started buying Tula products because I saw you sharing them and I absolutely love them. God bless you and your sweet family in every way.